So I made it to the DMV late night, but came up short on getting Prudence register as an RV. I went with all my paperwork and pictures of all the work done. I met all the state requirements to register her. But, apparently you need a state inspection. No were is this listed as a requirement, so I will be going back on Friday. Part of me thinks, they just did not know what do do with this kind of title change and part thinks they just want to see it out of curiosity.
We were getting her road ready last night and discovered one turning signal is out. So part ordered and will be done Thursday night. Just in time for the DMV. We do have a backup plan just incase we run into more issues with the DMV. I will share those next week if we have to go that route. Simple Life equals Happy Life!
As I look at my list of to dues on Prudence I’m feeling pretty good. The punch list is getting smaller. Just finishing the composting toilet and building a seat for Paula to ride on. I guess my biggest concern is finding time in my work schedule to get to the DMV. This time of the year is so crazy busy at work. I would rather go sooner than later though, in case I run into bureaucratic headaches.
To register the bus as an Rv check list:
1. Fixed permeant bed – Done
2. Kitchen installed – Done
3. Not Yellow – Should be done tonight
4. Toilet installed – planned for this weekend
In order to travel:
1. Seating for Paula with seatbelts – In the planning stage
Last week if you saw my post you could see I was feeling a bit over whelmed by the conversion process. I’m doing much better this week. I am try to remember at this point I need to be focused on just those things that need to happen to make Prudence registrable. And on that front, I’m feeling pretty good. One of the big hurdles we have is getting her painted, but that could not happen until the sheet metal went up over some of the windows. I am happy to say that got completed this last weekend and painting will start tonight. Tonight and tomorrow night we will be putting Henry Tropicool paint on the roof to reflect heat. Friday and Saturday we will be painting the rest of the bus. Anyone interest in helping, let me know.
The more I get done on the skoolie build the more I realize I have to do. The list never seams to end. I know this is issue is a product of my own making, it is still stressful. I gave myself a deadline when I got the bus to get her ready to be titled as an RV and travel able by Labor Day Weekend. That deadline is creeping closer and closer and although I think I will make the deadline for titling. The reality is much more needs to be done before she is travel ready, including the solar system up and running. Clearly, more days off are in my future. I hope the weather cooperates, I really hate losing days to the heat and rain.
With the current heatwave, work on Prudence has slowed. The next couple of days will not see a lot of changes. Last weekend was a killer heat wise, I just could not drink enough water. So I am learning from the experience and will limit my work during the heat of the day. Stay cool and safe out there, dink lots of water.
Well actually, it is Prudence that is getting framed. Starting Friday we begin framing the walls of our tiny home. It is exciting to finally be building. Once the framing is done we will be running water and electrical lines, even though those wont be used for a while. Once the framing is done we can start insulating the walls and building the bed platform. Keep an eye on my Instagram feed and YouTube channel for updates.
So this morning we finished the floor prep. You can look for that video next week at: https://www.youtube.com/user/rlpearson67. Honestly, the floor painting was the easiest thing we have done so far. That being said getting the floor ready for paint was a lot of work. Next steps will be putting the floor in. I found a great deal on craigslist for some industrial, sound absorbing sheets. I know one of the issues with a skoolie is the road noise while driving. I hope this will address that issue. In my viewing of other skoolie builds I have not seen anyone use anything like this. In a later video we will be testing the affects of this materail as measured in decibels.
If you haven’t seen this weeks video at Temple Farms check it out here. Paula took me for Father’s day, it was really cool. As an update, deconstruction is done and that video will be coming next week. We are in the middle of prepping the floor so we can start building. We did take advantage of an 11% rebate sale at Menards and stocked up on most of the building materials we will be needing soon. Paula’s garage is full of stuff, that hopefully will be in the bus soon. I also picked up a sound dampening materail I plan to put under the floor, hoping that will help with noise as we’re driving. More on that later.
The seats are out of the bus and all the metal trimmings holding the rubber floor in place. I got the last of the center walkway out yesterday and half of the rubber floor is gone. I also manages to free up the heater from the floor in the back of the bus. I decided to leave it intact. We will shorten the heater hoses and move it towards the front later on. Later this wee we plan to get the rest of the rubber floor out and the plywood underneath. The it will be prepping and building time. So far we are on schedule and hope to stay that way. FINGERS CROSSED!